Including gender dynamics in foresight modeling

Do you want to simulate quantitatively the differences in resource endowment of men and women in food, land, and water transformations; or the gendered-impacts of changes in technology, policy or other intervention? Is anyone interested in exploring this topic with us?

1 Like

I’ll be interested to help with that!! : )

Count me in. I am both interesetd in exploring the models and tools to do so, as well as the data needed to generate meaningful metrics for foresight purposes. Gideon

We did some experiments with this idea several years ago based on FAO’s SOFA report in 2010-11, but we haven’t extended this any further. I have some draft material that I could share (but I don’t see how to upload it here) if there are any further discussions.

Specifically, we worked the following into a scenario for the IMPACT model:

“If women had the same access to productive resources as men, they could increase yields on their farms by 20–30 percent. This could raise total agricultural output in developing countries by 2.5–4 percent, which could in turn reduce the number of hungry people in the world by 12–17 percent.”
— The State of Food and Agriculture 2010–11, Women in agriculture: Closing the gender gap for development

The scenario in IMPACT gave the following results (in contrast to the claims in the SOFA report):
~ Results:

• total supply increases 1.2-1.9%
  • prices drop 4.6-7.3%
  • pc kcal availability increases 1-1.5%
  • reduction in number of hungry in the world is 6-9% (according to our calculations) instead of 12-17%

Happy to discuss further if the opportunity arises.

-Tim